Energy Recruiters has been retained to support a national petroleum marketer in their search for a Chief Operating Officer. This role will be based in Michigan. As a member of the Leadership Team as well as Senior Manager, you will be responsible for the following:
You will lead and support a Team of four senior managers and over 400 indirect reports with accountability for business units including:
- Bulk Transportation (LTL & FTL; clean, crude, chemicals, etc.)
- Oilfield Services (frac/rig, lubricants, chemicals, etc.)
- Commercial Services & Operations (unbranded delivered business)
- Emergency Services
Rolling stock includes approx. 300 power units
Terminal locations across the Central, Southeast, Midwest, and Midcontinent Regions
- Maximize profitability and customer satisfaction through achieving best-in-class efficiency, operational execution, utilization, and Team engagement
- Implement improvements/investments in both operational and digital processes, systems, and personnel that ensure stable growth and scalability
- Institutionalize technology enhancements on the front line
- Lead, mentor, and develop an exceptional Team that delivers results while embracing core values of passion, pride, customer focus, creating solutions, innovation, and doing the right thing.
Provide Strategic Guidance in Company Decisions
- Drive the Team to fulfill the company’s vision and 5 year plan; prepare and deliver the operational road map that aligns short term goals with the organization’s strategic plan.
- Communicate short-term and long-term objectives and actions throughout the organization from front line to the Executive Office.
- Support the budgeting & financial planning activities for opex and capex investments
- Analyze the financial performance of past, present, and expected operations to identify development opportunities and areas where improvement is needed.
Team Leadership, Safety, Performance Management, and Development
- Demonstrate the organization’s values by performing exemplary customer service at all times
- Evaluate and provide development opportunities to improve the capabilities of your Team
- Lead recruitment, retention, and succession planning efforts.
- Plan and coordinate internal & external training.
- Develop and manage key operational, customer service goals, and metrics to support your Team.
- Steward a safe work environment for all Drivers, Mechanics, Technicians, and Customers.
Petroleum Logistics & Distribution
- Increase the utilization/efficiencies of the logistics network through performance management, Team development, and leadership of operational and digital process improvement initiatives. Deliver lower delivered cost per gallon and lower cost per touch.
- Create a common/centralized logistics platform of people, processes, and technology that enables regional/national/international scalability
- Work with executive management/peers/resources to deliver technology innovations that will create a distinct competitive advantage
- Establish short and long term goals for transportation operations support including rolling stock acquisition, maintenance, and driver resources
- Create a front line recruiting program (e.g., drivers, technicians, etc.) that enables a best-in-class program for onboarding and retention.
- Support compliance with company policy and all applicable local, state, and federal regulations related to rolling stock and storage.
- Lead the organization to a Best-in-Class culture for Customer Service
- Establish and maintain key relationships that are critical to the success of the business
Provide transparency on success, failure, performance, and projections throughout the organization from drivers to the Executive Team through reporting and presentation.
Requirements and Skills
Outstanding Candidates for this Leadership role will bring the following attributes and skills:
- Documented accomplishments in leadership for petroleum transport logistics & distribution
- Successful performance management experience
- Energetic, collaborative, and inspirational leadership style
- Successful track record of individual/Team development, training, and change management
- Entrepreneurial attitude with a history of initiating process improvements in logistics & distribution
- Demonstrated expertise in developing metrics/models to measure results and enhance decision making.
- Experience in supporting the development and management of an annual operating budget, including rolling stock procurement.
- Organizational skills, commitment, and follow through of execution/implementation
- Expert written and verbal communication skills
- Expert Customer Service skills
- Expert user of Microsoft Office.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Passion for day to day execution, operational excellence, and motivating front line personnel. Willing to travel approx. 50% into the field
Jason McAuliffe at firstname.lastname@example.org or 239-444-5283